Dick (Pronunciation: \'dik\) - a contemptible person that no one likes due to their asinine & self-serving behaviour. Sometimes also referred to as a Dickhead.
I am a man who enjoys surfing the net and reading blogs that will either entertain or educate me on pretty much any topic around, depending on my current mood.
As I was surfing the internet over a few Guinness the other day, I got to thinking about some of the things which I come across that annoys me on a regular basis when I visit some blogs.
Now I definitely don't want anyone reading this to think that I am claiming to be some kind of expert in blogging, far from it. My regular readers will vouch for me on that point as I can barely throw a few orderly & rational words together each week to make up a sober and coherent entry.
No this is a list of things, which I have undoubtedly written about in the past, that some bloggers continue to do intentionally and without shame, either just to annoy their visitors or because they are Dicks.
Let me know if I missed any in my list below.
Signs to tell that you may just be a Dick:
- If I have to scroll down your entire site to the very bottom of the page just to click on your stupid EC widget, you may just be a Dick. We all know I'm way too lazy for such crap.
- If music or video starts up automatically when I arrive on your site. Actually I am wrong here, there is no 'may' in this one, you definitely ARE a Dick.
- If you have a sign on your site pleading for people to comment on your posts like a common beggar on the street. People hate needy whiners. They also hate Dicks.
- If you have more advertisements on your blog then you have actual real content. You're not fooling anyone so just open up a store and get off the internet, Dick.
- If you have no spell checking. Whether English is your first language or not, the most annoying thing to read is a blog riddled with spelling errors. You lose all credibility. So maybe find time to download a spell checker Dick.
- If you have a 'Make Money Fast secrets' blog. I'll break the news to you here & now. There is no such thing, otherwise the Dick who was writing it would be making money instead of writing to us about it. The only reason they are writing is undoubtedly to recruit you to do something to make them even more money.
- If you are begging on your site for donations, even in the guise of buying you a beer or a coffee. I'll give you a tip right now - stop begging like a dog at the table, Dick.
- If you give someone an award which is nothing more than a internet chain letter by asking people to pass it on to 7 million other people. This is simply ridiculous and you're a Dick.
- If you have fake contests. Holding a contest that requires the entrant to do multiple steps such as: fill out forms, creating a post about your crappy contest, recruiting 5 friends, comment on the contest, displaying logos, etc. Either you want to give something away or you don't. Don't be a Dick and make it simple
- If you have on your blog a sea of clutter of widgets, ads, weather, pictures and everything else. Try and save a little space for actual writing content because after all, that is what a blog is about - Dick!
And last but not least, if you are someone who clearly knows nothing at all & writes a blog entry calling other people Dicks, there is a pretty good chance that you too may also be a Dick!